Scent of the Earth

It had been months since she pulled me into her gardens.  I hadn't forgotten her.  I could never manage to forget her after all we have been through.  Having come to know her so closely, I realized that while she was master of the woods and waters around me, she also now lived inside of me, her spirit shining through.  Her scent hit me immediately when I opened the lid of the gray tote.  Everything was as I left it.  My backpack was on top and I quickly opened the zipper to grab the trigger release.  As I handled it, I was overwhelmed by her fragrance.  Memories and experiences flowed through my mind.  I vividly recalled all the moments we were all alone, and the secrets she revealed. It was like the feeling when you see an old friend after years away when I noticed the strong and distinct smell.  As the thoughts of all my hunts passed through my mind I wondered if anyone else recognized this her musty scent.  Was it my own scent, maybe a little, but mostly it was hers. It was the same scent that would mark all those glorious mornings in the dark.  The same scent that surrounded me while I walked optimistically through the inky blackness of the pines with faith in myself and the choices i've made.  This was the scent I came to know while studying the shapes of the steam from my breathe as I watched her sun rise through the trees.  This was her scent, unforgettable.  In an instant I saw everything while kneeling, consuming the scent of the earth. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take it Easy

The Fever.

A Creek Rediscovered.